Senior Backend Engineer (Ruby, NodeJS)
Our mission and where you fit in
Our ambitious team at Employment Hero is on a quest to transform employment, making it easier and more valuable for everyone. Our world-class software is the easiest way for small and medium-sized businesses to manage HR, payroll, employee engagement, and benefits.
Since our inception in 2014, we've had enormous growth (100% YoY), now serving 300,000 businesses globally, with 2 million+ users on the platform, reaching unicorn status in 2022 - and we have no plans of slowing down.
There’s never been a more exciting time to join one of the fastest-growing global unicorns, so let’s see if we could be a match!
In your role, you'll be focused on…
We're a team of global innovators, who cherish diverse perspectives that fuel our mission; to simplify the world of work for SMBs worldwide.
As a Full-Stack Software Development Engineer for this role, you will be working with our eBenefits & Fintech Department. They are a fast-scaling team within Employment Hero. It's focus is on building products that improve employee engagement, through reward and recognition products, and employee perks and benefits, including our discount marketplace, and finance products, like InstaPay.
Our eBenefits team are building brand new products for our end users (B2C), which complement and enhance our already broad range of Human Resource SaaS products. We're in the thick of developing a SuperApp, which encompasses our current offerings, with some new and first of their kind products within the Fintech and Careers/Lifestyle space.
You will be:
- Develop new product lines with new critical features, using our tech stack which includes NodeJS, ReactJS, React Native, within an AWS Cloud environment using EC2 and Kubernetes
- Provide your input into our technical strategy with your squad, including participating in sprint planning
- Develop code for the frontend, mobile and backends environments as an end-to-end full-stack developer,
- Ensure both your colleagues and yourself are producing high quality code through testing and code reviews
- Share your knowledge with your squad and mentor junior developers
- Learn and collaborate with highly respected Software Development Engineer, in a high performing and supportive squad
- Show your passion for working in highly complex and technically challenging development
- Enhance legacy features for our award-winning HR tech platform
You’re the hero we’re looking for if:
- You have experience in Full-Stack Software Development, Server-side and API Development (GraphQL), particularly with NodeJS, OR experience in at least one Object-oriented programming (OOP) scripting language
- High-level Object Oriented Programming (OOP) skills
- Demonstrated experience implementing, maintaining and deploying full-stack web technologies
- Experience in translating design wireframes into functioning UI components
- Strong understanding of standard Software Engineering processes, Testing, and Agile methodology
- A team player that always puts colleagues ahead of yourself and has a highly adaptable and versatile approach to work
- You are passionate about learning and sharing your knowledge, and not afraid to challenge your peers, but also welcome being challenged
- English language abilities, both written and verbal - you’ll be working with people across the world, including from Australia
It’ll be great, but not essential, if you also have experience with:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science of Software Engineering or an equivalent
- Experience in developing highly modular mobile applications and mobile application performance tuning
- Experience in functional programming
- Have experience in mentoring team mates, or even leading a squad
- Familiarity with AWS tooling and environments, including EC2, Kubernetes, etc.
Experience is important, but for us the biggest measure of success is people who can live and breathe our values. Show us what you can bring to the table, and we’ll empower you to let your talents shine.
Feel supported every step of the way
Whether it’s your first remote role, or you’re already a seasoned professional, it always helps to know you’re in a good company. With 220+ heroes in Vietnam and 800+ heroes globally - there’s always someone willing to lend a helping hand.
But don’t just take it from us, hear from your local heroes: Thao Ta, Head of People and Culture & Hung Pham, Group Engineer Manager
We can make you wow-to-proud and enjoy our exclusive perks and benefits at Employment Hero, including:
- Remote-first and flexible working arrangements
- 20 days Annual Leave, plus VN Public Holidays
- Leisure Rules Days - an extra day to take leave whenever you are simply not feeling very “workie”
- A generous budget to spend on setting up your home office or WFH station
- $500 USD for books, conferences & courses for your professional development plan
- $500 USD for English learning courses
- VND 80,000 budget for lunch for day-in-office
- Best-in-class hardware, tools and tech - choose either a MacBook Pro or Windows laptop
- Premium Healthcare Insurance Program for you and your loved ones.
- Sports club funded by Employment Hero
- Monthly get-together event in the office for team bonding
- Learning and development opportunities, including MCI courses, Go1 Learning, external study policy and tailor-made individual development plans
- Reward and recognition programs - because great work should be recognised and rewarded
- Including Lightning Award for delivering quality work at speed and Values Champion Awards
- Annual Global Gathering to get to know your global colleagues - we’ve been to Thailand, Da Nang (Vietnam) and are excited to meet in Bali in September 2024
- Employee Share Option Program (ESOP): be an owner of Employment Hero
We celebrate diverse perspectives and experiences, and we invite people of all backgrounds and identities to apply for this position. If you require any adjustments throughout the recruitment process, simply let us know.
At Employment Hero, we're not just working remotely; we're integrating flexibility and global reach into the heart of our daily operations.
We also recognise the value of face-to-face connection, and organise local and global gatherings throughout the year to celebrate our wins and make meaningful connections with our colleagues.
And for those who enjoy working from an office, we also have a Hero Hub in HCMC, which you’re welcome to work from whenever you like.
Work your way
Every Hero has unique powers. Bound by a common purpose and trust, we encourage each other to work in ways that allow us to bring our best selves to work.
Are we a match ?
Please apply direction below, if you are a match, then you can expect next steps below:
- Step 1: You will join an at-home test round.
- Step 2: Then, you will have a screening call with our Talent Acquisition Team, where we will go through your overall working experience, your motivation, and expectations. This is also an opportunity for you to clarify any information you need about the job and Employment Hero.
- Step 3: An online interview with our Engineering Team, where we will dive deep into your culture fit and professional expertise."
Not exactly the right fit for you?
If you’re excited about Employment Hero, but this role is not the one for you, we encourage you to explore our careers page, packed with many more great opportunities.
Know someone who would be a great fit? Feel free to share the role with your network !