Senior Backend Engineer
At Zoomo, our vision is to transition every urban mile to Light Electric Vehicles (LEVs). Zoomo offers the world’s leading platform for commercial use e-bikes. We offer customers a modular solution including fleet management software, servicing and financing. We operate across the USA, UK, Europe, Canada and Australia. In 4 years Zoomo has helped transition millions of urban miles to light electric vehicles, built a team of >200 world class engineers, operators, sales staff and vehicle repair technicians; developed and deployed the world's best last mile delivery electric bikes and fleet management software; and successfully sold these fleet solutions into the world's leading logistics businesses.
Zoomo vehicles are used by major players in the food, grocery and parcel delivery segments with partners including UberEats, Doordash, JustEat Takeaway, Deliveroo, Domino’s, Pizza Hut, Amazon, FedEx, Getir, Ocado, GoPuff and many more.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Zoomo is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to be an integral part of our Fleet squad. This team at Zoomo is building the next generation fleet management system for light electric vehicles (LEVs). The fleet management application comprises several components: a primary web app and several companion native apps for iOS and Android devices.
You will be responsible for building tools from the ground up globally. Your work will have a large impact - it is the backbone of our business and will be used to solve problems for both our business and our customers in Europe, the Americas and Australia.
You’ll deliver business value by owning the complete software development lifecycle from inception to delivery and its post-release support. You will be responsible for maintaining coding quality, design and implementation of new and agreed architectures using best standards and modern architectures. You will be a mentor to other engineers and participate in forums within the wider team to share knowledge, experience, best practices and collaboratively raise the standard of engineering.
You will be working primarily on a backend stack, however there is room to flex your frontend muscles as well. Some of the things you will be expected to do day-to-day include:
- Collaborating with other engineers and team members to help deliver Zoomo’s technical vision, strategy and roadmap.
- Independently scoping, designing, implementing and releasing significant new features and functionality that have a high impact on our customers.
- Contributing to the discovery stage by assisting engineering, product and design teams to validate assumptions.
- Engaging in software architecture discussions to help evolve Zoomo’s software platform to meet the growing global expansions.
- Working with managers and engineers to help define high standards for code, deployments and documentation.
- Coaching other engineers in their technical progression.
- Participating in technical knowledge sharing sessions to promote best practices and the latest technology trends
- 7+ years of experience building, shipping and maintaining highly scalable web applications
- Fluency in Typescript and at least one other statically typed language
- Experience writing unit and integration tests (preferably using Jest)
- Strong knowledge of architectural designs and best practices
- Experience building and documenting REST APIs
- Experience deploying applications in the cloud (preferably using GCP)
- Experience with deployment pipelines (eg. GitHub Actions, Cloud Build)
- Experience with infrastructure as code (namely Terraform)
WHAT WILL SET YOU APART
- Transport or LEV industry experience
- Experience with or a desire to learn frontend frameworks (especially React)
- Demonstrated experience working in a fast paced startup environment
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
- You are a team player with excellent communication skills and experience working in a distributed environment
- You thrive on analysing problems, formulating solutions, and making those a reality.
- You have a passion for quality and know what best-in-class engineering looks like; you build for the long term.
- You love working in a fast-paced startup environment where experimentation, learning and iteration are highly valued and encouraged.
We offer you the chance to be part of a team at the cutting edge of the world’s electrification journey, including:
- Working with a switched on team that strives to make the streets greener and serve the rider
- A competitive salary
- Global and country-specific benefits packages
- Flexible working that is focussed on the delivery of OKRs
- Annual learning and development allowance
- Mental wellbeing support
Zoomers currently represent 45 nationalities and we celebrate diversity and inclusion with equal opportunities for all.